Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What if (14)

What if the age to buy cigarettes was lifted from eighteen to twenty-one? What are good things about this? Why would people not agree with this? What could our future be like if this was the new law? I think if the law changed from eighteen to twenty-one, it would be a great thing for the world. I can not stand the smell of smoke and it would not bother me if the law was changed to twenty-five. One of the main reasons I do not like cigarettes is because they can cause lung cancer. Whenever I see someone smoking, I just feel like they are trying to make their life shorter. My mom smokes and it upsets me, but she can not seem to quit. I do not think she is giving it her all to try to quit though, otherwise she would have quit a long time ago. I do not think this will ever happen though, because cigarette companies are making so much profit. There are many ads on television telling people all of the bad things about smoking and what harm it can bring them, however, people are still smoking. They probably do not realize how bad they are killing their body at the moment, but they will certainly see when they keep doing it for a long period of time. Cigarettes are also not good for an athlete. I do not play a sport at the moment, but I remember some of my friends who smoked that were on my high school soccer team. They never were able to keep up with the ones that did not smoke. It really showed how much the smoke was taking away from their athletic abilities. I was ashamed to see them waste their talent for this. I think our future would be a lot cleaner if we lifted the age requirement. Cigarette butts would not be all over the ground and smoke all in the atmosphere. If the age requirement went to twenty-one, maybe more people would not get addicted to smoking when they are young and their minds are not fully developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment