Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What if (13)

What if stem cells could cure cancer? How would this affect people? What are the good and bad things about this? How would the world change from the way it is now? I think that if stem cells could cure cancer, it would be one of the biggest medical acheivements in the world to date. Cancer is killing millions of people and a cure has not been found for this disease yet. If stem cells could cure cancer, most of these lives could be saved. I had a cousin that was diagnosed with brain cancer, and unfortunately she passed away from this disease. If stem cells were to able to cure the cancer, she would have possibly survived the disease. I think people would be affected by this in many ways. The people with cancer would feel there is a strong chance they could survive with the treatment. This would help them stay with a more positive attitude. A good thing about the treatment would also affect the family members of the patient diagnosed with cancer. When I went to St. Jude's hospital and saw all of the patients with cancer, it was hard to smile and stay with a positive attitude for the sick children. I knew that most of the children would die, and there was nothing I could do about it. When I saw my cousin, I tried to stay smiling in front of her and make her laugh, but as I left, I could not hold it in as much. A bad thing about stem cells curing cancer would be the treatment process. During the process, there is a destroying of an embryo, and many people see this as murder. They believe it is wrong it kill the embryo. I think the world would change for the better with this new treatment. Many lives would be saved and rough times would be avoided. Even though it is too late for my cousin to survive, I would hope they still develop a cure and people do not have to go through the same thign my family and I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment